This is a database of historical articles and pictures from the Banteer/Lyre/Nadd areas.
This project is ongoing with the support of the Glen Theatre in Banteer.
Hope you enjoy it!
Please e-mail any comments to email@example.com
The Glen Theatre is a Community owned, Community developed and Community run Theatre near Banteer, County Cork. The facility has been developed over the past 14 years into a state of the art venue, which caters for all activities in the community.
In the mid 90’s a locally formed Committee decided to purchase the old derelict, Banteer National School building, which was originally built in 1841. The building had ceased to be used as a school in 1975 and was in fact used as a cow shed by a local farmer until 1994 when the committee purchased the facility at a cost of £25,000. The Committee then developed it into a top class community Theatre.
The venue is the pride of the Banteer and Duhallow areas and all the construction work is now completed at a cost of approx €400,000. The Committee are indebted to the financial support received from Cork County Council, IRD Duhallow and the Department of Arts.
The Glen Theatre was officially opened in 2005 by Mrs Mary Keane wife of the late John B Keane.